It's pretty certain that an average Flash/RIA developer cares about how the dev tools look. If a piece of software looks ugly, it's unlikely to be used.
Eclipse in that matter is one such tool. On Mac OS X its Dock icon looks ugly and the splash screen isn't any better either.
To improve this unbearable ugliness on the Dock, here's a way to
swap this for this
- Download the Eclipse-icons-pack.zip* (582 KB) with the above icon
- Locate your Eclipse installation folder, e.g. Applications/eclipse
- Right-click Eclipse application in that folder
- Choose Show Package Contents
- In the opened Finder window navigate to Contents > Resources
- Replace the default Eclipse.icns file with the one in the icons pack you downloaded in Step 1
- You're done. Enjoy the new icon!
On Snow Leopard the Dock should now look like this: