Posted on 22nd May 2009 in Telecom | No Comments »
As of this week, Elisa has the largest 3.5G coverage in Estonia. This comes as a result of the 3.5G availability for all of Tartumaa, one of the largest counties in the country.
Given the new UMTS900 technology that Elisa deploys in rural areas, this is to introduce country-wide 3.5G coverage. Since UMTS is about 3 times cheaper than the competing technologies (including HSDPA) it will also result in cheaper M-internet packages.
UMTS900 network speeds go up to 7.2 Mbps of downlink and 1.5 Mbps uplink.
Elisa’s Finnish branch launched first commercial UMTS900 network in the world in 2007.
- Press release (in Estonian)
- Tartumaa (Tartu County, Estonia)
- EstWin next generation wide-band project signed
- Elisa expands 3.5G to Tartu
- Linxtelecom Estonia reports 52% increase in sales
- Mobile speeds doubling up in Northern Europe
- Elisa mobile internet usage up more than 10 times
- Elisa is implementing Mobile TV